As you most likely heard by now, Toys”R”Us is closing all 735 stores. The only silver lining here is the potential for big discounts as liquidation sales start. Stores are scheduled to close by May 14th. Some store may close earlier if inventory sells out faster.
The timetable for the closing sales was disclosed Tuesday at a hearing in U.S. Going-out-of-business sales will start this week, on Thursday March, 22nd. Items will continually be discounted by about 25% week after week until all the merchandise is gone. Toys”R”Us will run their own sales until May 14th. And then liquidators will come in and sell everything else.
Reminder: liquidation sales are final. The most popular products will go first and might not be available when the discounts are the highest towards the end. So keep that in mind if you’re looking for something specific.
Some shoppers are already reporting big discounts on Apple products, diapers,Lego and Fisher Price.
Some tips to make the most of clearance sales:
- Make a list and keep a budget in mind.
- Remember: All sales are final with liquidation sales.
- Buy larger sizes for kids and toys for older kids. If you’re buying for Christmas, remember the kids will be 9 months older than they are now.
- Know the Sale Schedule for your store: Store managers typically know the discounting schedule in advance so call your local store for the sales schedule.
- Prepare for a lot of people. A lot of people are looking for deals, don’t let the mob mentality force you into a purchase you don’t need.
We’ll give you more updates as we learn more.
You may also be interested in...